Wednesday, September 1, 2010

#1 How Art Harpy Got Her Groove Back

I started Blogging in 2004.

The first blog I set up was a private blog... so private in fact that I now can not find the bugger. It was nice to have something so private that no normal person could access it (unlike a written journal lying around), yet so public that any hacker could free my words to the world...I got a little rush every time I posted.

Then I started Girl Scout Gone Bad. A place where I could post about my daily life and the angst of raising a family who was a little too smart for it's own good. My goal was to post something funny every day and I did. I posted nearly every day for a year.

Suddenly, through a series of unfortunate events I found myself not feeling funny anymore. Which sucks because I was a stand up comic for a few years. And to lose my sense of humor? Well I might as well have put in for a transfer to the Middle East. I was full of all kinds of negative garbage which I couldn't manage to turn into anything constructive. It was a difficult time and I was not willing to spew it on to my readers.

The past year has been one of tremendous growth for me (which is code for "my life is a roller coaster in a sewage treatment plant and I'm learning a lot"). I am coming to terms with a soon to be empty nest (not a problem) and freeing myself to be a visual artist (problem).

I'm in the midst of figuring out how to be self disciplined, balanced in work/play, and trusting my instincts to free my sense of artistic self.

This is a creative journey of the heart I want to share; like the crazy moments of domestic life on Girl Scout Gone Bad. My hope is that you will find inspiration, or at least humor, in my struggles. Know that what ever creative endeavor you are pursuing, be it art, writing or living with intention, you are not alone in your struggles.

I'm planning to post 1000 different posts of words, art or things I find inspiring.

Yes, it's a mighty undertaking but as Lao Tzu the Taoist Philospoher said, "The journey of 1000 miles must begin with a single step."

This is my single step.



No comments: